Saturday, December 16, 2006

'What Do You Want?'


The other day, one of my oldest friends, the 'Cable-Cart' friend we each have (I'll explain later) asked me this very question... "What Do You Want?"

Instinctively a thousand possible answers came to mind. Like most guys, that Red Ferrari or the house overlooking the ocean with your own private beach and even super-luxury yacht come to mind. Sure if we worked really really hard and watched the way we spent our money and stuck to budgets, and then of course won the lotto, we may achieve these trappings of luxury. But as you grow older and hopefully more mature, and take on more adult responsibility, 'Wants' which require flights of fancy are soon replaced by "Wants" which merely require a less selfish approach. I noticed this calmness and serenity coupled with a planned approach to the future soon become a part of my outlook, as opposed to living for the day and winging it.

That being said, the only answer to the question posed to me, "What Do You Want?" was a simple, open and honest "I want to be the man both my family and my late dad would be extremely proud of." Every man wants to leave a legacy. Some are more inspired than others. Some have more ambition than others. I've met guys who are perfectly happy to wake up each day without a plan. Hey, im not critisizing them, heck I used to be one of those guys not so long ago. But you do hope that it's just a passing phase, and not a motto in life. So whats the legacy i'd like to leave? Doing whatever it takes, and being the best I can be, to make sure that my family and those I love are provided for in the most comfortable way, whether im here or not. Simple as that. Aim for the Stars, and if I miss, at least I get the Moon.

Ok, so what's a "Cable-Cart" friend, you ask?
Remember the first time you went on one of these? May have been years ago, but the mere mention of it makes you feel like it was just yesterday. Thats a Cable-Cart friend. Someone you dont need to see, speak to or hang out with for days, weeks, months or maybe even longer than that, but on that one day that you do, it feels like you've never missed a day together.

No comments:

Peeping Toms To Date